Travel Seoul - Food

Seoul Food (sorry can't resist the pun) I just can't get enough of Korean Food. Have I shared with you how gracious and hospitable Koreans are? At least my hosts (Mr and Mrs Lee) are extremely hospitable. 

Feast 1

Thanks to my hosts, a few hours after we touched down we treated to a huge feast at a local family restaurant. This restaurant is known for this delicious stuffed duck
(please see picture below). With this dish are also many other dishes which are just too many to capture as it is really disruptive to the lunching atmosphere. But I swear they are simply lipsmacking :)






Feast 2. Home Dining

Before we flew back home, Mr and Mrs Lee graciously invited us to their humble abode for dinner. And again it's a big affair. The whole table was packed with so much food (for 6 of us) I just didn't know where to start. Being a small eater my hosts must have gotten the wrong impression as I didn't eat a lot. But I really love the food -- if only I can eat them over a few meals :p

Sorry I captured the spread only midway through the feast as I just too tired by the 1 hours bus ride from town. But I guess you can get a good idea from here.


Feast 3. www.marushabu.co.kr

Here is another great place to dine at near Ilsan (outskirts of Seoul)

Marushabu is known for fusion cuisine. The ambience, food and view are all great here. This time, Mrs Lee and her colleague Matilda surprised me with this set meal. I'll leave you to enjoy the pictures of a few of the nice dishes I managed to capture while minimising meal disruption by my trigger happy moment :p 

View Captured with panorama feature in Samsung Galaxy SIII




A few of the tasty dishes from the set meal.






FOCUSSED MEAL
I was pleasantly surprised that this barbecue restaurant is very focused. Our choice was pork. We barbecued three servings of pork with free flow of salads and side dishes were more than enough to fill my belly.







 


Snacks

Each time I passed by this truck of titbits I was tempted to buy something. And finally on the eve of our departure came the chance. Don't be deceived. The truck may be simple, but the wafer biscuits we bought taste as good as those from Swensen's. We can have a mix of any two kinds of wafer of our choice for 4,000kr. There is also a variety of nuts like ground nuts, almonds etc. They are sold separately from the wafer.





Side Dish Shop

Shops offering dumplings and Korean noodles are a common sight in Ilsan (outskiets of Seoul).






This is Spicy Beef Soup served at a higher end eatery in Seoul.

 



Street Food

Below are a couple of local dishes loved by locals



(top) rice cake in spicy-sweet sauce; hot soup to warm your stomach

Yummy Barbecue Chicken (or satay, Singaporean term)

This store was one of the many dotted around Korea. We passed by this one when we were in the Ehwa Womans University. Notice how Koreans crowd around the store to finish their food before going off on their way. It is considered not very elegant for one to eat as one walks.

When the temperatures dip to below 10°C, having some hot food from stores like these is not only a treat, but also a necessity to warm up the body. 






Sugar coated Fruits (at Ehwa Womans University)

1,000 kr for a string of sugar coated fruits. We bought the strawberries which were the only option available that day.


2 comments:

  1. must be tasty, tempty to eat while traveling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes absolutely. Would have loved to stop at every stall and eatery.

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your topic related comments/responses to contests. Thank you.